Saturday, October 16, 2010

Anything BUT A Card! Challenge--3rd Saturday of the month

Hi, all you Inspired Crafters out there! I thought it might be fun to have an ABAC challenge once a month, in addition to cards and scrapbook pages. This month I challenge you to use glass (or clear plastic) to create SOMETHING. There are a ton of amazing ideas out there for using glass or clear plastic. The first pic shows a magnet, made by stamping and coloring a small image with permanent inks, adding a dollop of Crystal Effects, and squishing one of those clear glass jewels from Michaels down on top.
The second pic shows a clear glass ornament. You cut a circle of transparency plastic to fit in your ball, stamp an image with Staz-on and color with permanent markers. Roll it up, insert in the ball, add glitter and Voila! Tutorial found HERE. One helpful tip is to leave a notch of plastic sticking up at the top to stick up inside the opening and hold your clear plastic circle upright. Another cool thing to do with these glass balls is to pour in some Future Floor Wax, swirl it all around to coat the inside of your ball, and then pour in some colored glitter--HERE is a link to some adorable Halloween ones. This is great if you like to create your holiday decor around a specific color scheme.
I have had good luck with glass etching. The above example is made using a Krafty Block from Hobby Lobby and my Cricut and a vinyl stencil, but you can also heat emboss a stamped image on the glass, then etch (SCS has a great tutorial on this HERE). You can find cheap glass items at Dollar Tree and Wal-mart. You can buy glass bricks from Lowe's, but then you have to have a glass drill bit to drill a hole in it--much easier to use your 40% off coupon to buy a pre-drilled one at Hobby Lobby. Etching cream can be found at Mike's or Hobby Lobby. It's pretty easy to use, although smelly. The important thing to remember is to stick your stencil down really well so that the etching cream doesn't leak under. I also found some glass frosting spray paint type stuff at Lowe's today. I haven't tried it yet, but I will, and I'll let everyone know if it's easier or not.
You could apply a pretty rub-on to an empty wine or frappucino bottle. HERE is a cool link. If you don't want to mess with glass, you can use clear plastic. The plastic boxes that PTI packages their stamps in are perfect for this--very sturdy. Maybe you could make a clear cover for a bound mini book, or use your Nesties to cut out a shape and then stamp a design on it. The possibilities are almost endless!
Please use Mr. Linky below to add your project. You have until Friday November 19 to upload your project. I will randomly draw a winner to receive some awesome blog candy--this year's PTI anniversary set, Round and Round. If you upload to an online gallery, please use the code ICCABAC1--thanks!


4 comments:

  1. these are very cool! i ewspecially love the candle, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE all three of the projects. Your glass etching is FABULOUS. I'm SO jealous. I'm too chicken to try it and the sad thing is I have all the stuff to do it. I wish you lived closer to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to post my door decoration--but don't worry, I'm not entering myself in the drawing LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour!
    De très belles créations!Bravo!
    Amitiés de France:CLAIRE

    ReplyDelete